Since the last time we did an RPI watch, the Sun Devils have won twice, improving their record to 11-2. According to CBS Sports, Arizona State now has an RPI of 73.
What exactly is RPI? It's what the selection committee looks at in March to help determine who meets the criteria for entry into the NCAA Tournament. Quality wins, strength of schedule, and quality of opponents are the determining factors.
Victories over Texas Tech (ASU's first true road game of the season) and Coppin State improved the Sun Devils' RPI by a few notches. Now that the out of conference schedule is finished for ASU, the Pac-12 slate should bring both their Strength of Schedule and RPI up substantially. All that the Sun Devils need to do is win, baby.
Overall Record = 11-2
Pac-12 Record = 0-0
Home Record = 9-1
Away Record = 1-0
Neutral Record = 1-1
Top 50 Record = 0-1
RPI = 73
SOS = 199
Signature Wins (RPI 1-30) = None
Quality Wins (RPI 31-100) = vs. Cal State Northridge (54)
Bad Losses (RPI 101 or greater) = DePaul (202)
- Central Arkansas (3-5, 0-0 Southland) | RPI = 227
- Florida A&M (2-7, 1-0 MEAC) | RPI = 331
- Cornell (5-8, 0-0 Ivy) | RPI = 232
- Arkansas (7-4, 0-0 SEC) | RPI = 114
- Creighton (11-1, 0-0 MVC) | RPI = 17
- Arkansas Pine Bluff (1-11, 0-0 SWAC) | RPI = 274
- Sacramento State (4-4, 1-1 Big Sky) | RPI = 161
- Hartford (7-5, 0-0 America East) | RPI = 160
- Cal State Northridge (7-4, 0-1 Big West) | RPI = 54
- DePaul (9-3, 0-0 Big East) | RPI = 202
- Dartmouth (2-8, 0-0 America East) | RPI = 292
- Texas Tech (6-4, 0-0 Big 12) | RPI = 280
- Coppin State (3-11, 0-0 MEAC) | RPI = 258
Next up for the Sun Devils: Home game against the Utah Utes (8-4) on January 2 as Pac-12 conference play begins.