Kelley L Cox-USA TODAY Sports
After a tough loss to Washington, the Sun Devils head into the home stretch with a 17-5 record and an RPI of 63.
The picture painted by Arizona State's 2012-13 schedule tells an interesting story. With a record of 17-5, the Sun Devils have won their fair share of games, but only two of those wins come against teams ranked in the RPI top 100. Meanwhile, four out of the five losses were against teams ranked in the RPI top 70.
Long story short: the Sun Devils have some work left to do in order to make the NCAA Tournament. They need more quality wins as the second half of the Pac-12 conference schedule kicks off Thursday against California.
Without further ado, your RPI update for February 4, thanks to the information from CBS Sports:
Overall Record = 17-5
Pac-12 Record = 6-3
Home Record = 13-2
Away Record = 3-2
Neutral Record = 1-1
Top 50 Record = 2-3
RPI = 63
SOS = 112
Signature Wins (RPI 1-30) = Colorado (25)
Quality Wins (RPI 31-100) = UCLA (44)
Bad Losses (RPI 101 or greater) = DePaul (182)
- Central Arkansas (5-10, 2-5 Southland) | RPI = 305
- Florida A&M (3-14, 2-3 MEAC) | RPI = 332
- Cornell (7-10, 0-1 Ivy) | RPI = 209
- Arkansas (12-7, 3-3 SEC) | RPI = 104
- Creighton (17-3, 6-2 MVC) | RPI = 28
- Arkansas Pine Bluff (7-12, 6-1 SWAC) | RPI = 229
- Sacramento State (7-8, 4-5 Big Sky) | RPI = 260
- Hartford (11-9, 4-3 America East) | RPI = 189
- Cal State Northridge (8-10, 1-7 Big West) | RPI = 197
- DePaul (10-9, 1-4 Big East) | RPI = 182
- Dartmouth (3-11, 0-1 America East) | RPI = 311
- Texas Tech (9-8, 2-4 Big 12) | RPI = 210
- Coppin State (4-15, 2-3 MEAC) | RPI = 282
- Utah (10-11, 2-7 Pac-12) | RPI = 165
- Colorado (14-7, 4-5 Pac-12) | RPI = 25
- Oregon State (11-11, 1-8 Pac-12) | RPI = 162
- Oregon (18-4, 7-2 Pac-12) | RPI = 28
- Arizona (19-2, 7-2 Pac-12) | RPI = 4
- USC (9-13, 4-5 Pac-12) | RPI = 110
- UCLA (16-6, 6-3 Pac-12) | RPI = 44
- Washington State (11-11, 2-7 Pac-12) | RPI = 165
- Washington (13-9, 5-4 Pac-12) | RPI = 69
Quick Analysis: There are nine games left in the Pac-12 conference schedule for Arizona State. Four home games and five road battles. The Sun Devils have an opportunity to win all their games at home, but they will need to also have strong performances on their mountain road trip and the visit to Los Angeles. All told, the Devils need to win 7 of their last 9, and win at least once in the Pac-12 Tournament to feel safe about their NCAA Tournament chances.
Next up for the Sun Devils: ASU hosts California and Stanford, taking on the Bay Area teams for the first and only time this season. Combined, the Golden Bears and the Cardinal have won their last five games, and both sit at 5-4 in conference play. This is an absolutely huge week for the Devils, as both teams are in the RPI top 70 (Cal is 69, Stanford 67).