We were at ASU Pro Day, and came away with some observations and impressions from the workouts.
- The departing ASU seniors participated—Kevin Ayers, Charles Beatty, Deveron Carr, Josh Hubner, Keelan Johnson, Brandon Magee, Cameron Marshall, Jamal Miles, James Morrison, A.J. Pickens, Rashad Ross and Brice Schwab—as well as former Sun Devil Shelly Lyons.
- The former running backs did well on the bench press. Marshall had 22 and Morrison 21. Schwab lifted the 225 pounds 29 times, and Miles 15.
- Due to the rainy weather in the area, the on-field work was conducted in the Dickey Dome. Throughout the workouts, there seemed to be a lot of issues with traction, resulting in several slips.
- The big watch for the 40-yard dash was on Brandon Magee, who looked to improve upon his 4.74 time from the Scouting Combine. He did just that, posting in the mid to high 4.5s.
- Magee did have some issues during the drills, likely caused from his recovery from the injury suffered during the Fight Hunger Bowl, including some dropped passes.
- Deveron Carr did himself some favors today, and was arguably the day's star. He ran in the low 4.4s, was fluid in agility drills, and did well in the defensive drills. He showed glimpses of being a very good cover corner while at ASU and has the tools to play in the NFL. All he needs is the consistency.
- Rashad Ross ran into the low 4.3s, as expected. Schwab clocked in at 5.3.
- Jamal Miles was in the mid 4.4s, and showed off some nice hands during the receiving drills, something that went off course during last season. He looked explosive, and may get a camp invite as a return specialist.
- Marshall looked to be in terrific shape, and ran in the 4.5s, along with some good work in the agility drills. He also showed off some polish as a receiver out of the backfield.
- Keelan Johnson posted a 4.49 40 time, and improvement from his 4.54 at the Combine, and was solid if unspectacular in his other work.
- Josh Hubner punted a little early on, but his powerful leg kept bouncing ball off the ceiling. He did spend some time talking with and working with a Cardinals scout.
- Scouts from the Steelers, Saints, Ravens, Jets, Giants, 49ers, Eagles, Cardinals, Browns, Redskins, Panthers, Titans, Bills, Chargers were among the teams in attendance.
- After the workouts, Marshall was busy filling out a paperwork packet from the Houston Texans.