Couple stories have been popping up on the Sun Devils.
Over at SI.com, there is a fairly banal story about Harden and how Glasser and his coach followed him to ASU. If you don't know the story, however, it could have a few things of interest.
Also, it turns out ASU was the one who dumped BYU from their schedule for the next few years, according to BYU. ASU responded by saying ESPN asked them to do it so they could "owe" them down the line for setting up a BYU-Oklahoma game, but... really? I think that we just wanted one extra win next year with a rookie QB.
Oh. And ticket prices are jumping up in 83% of the seats.
Not much else out there, but there is this. Interesting that the top 6 defensive efforts in ASU basketball history have come under Sendek - the guy knows defense. Looking forward to the tourney this year - big time.
And, per ESPN, an updated look at our football recruiting.
|Kody Koebensky||OG||6'3"||290||Saguaro H.S. (AZ )||OG #11||80||Verbal|
|Osahon Irabor||CB||5'11"||182||Upland H.S. (CA )||CB #23||78||Verbal|
|Chris Coyle||TE||6'3"||235||Oaks Christian H.S. (CA )||TE #22||78||Verbal|
|Anthony Rose||OLB||6'1"||190||Marcos De Niza H.S. (AZ )||OLB #47||77||Verbal|
|Matt Tucker||ATH||6'3"||185||Grandview H.S. (CO )||ATH #67||77||Signed|
|Anthony Jones||OLB||6'1"||200||Hamilton H.S. (AZ )||OLB #68||76||Verbal|
|J.J. Holliday||WR||6'0"||161||Santa Rita H.S. (AZ )||WR #94||76||Verbal|
|William Sutton||DT||6'0"||248||Centennial H.S. (CA )||DT #68||75||Verbal|
|Max Smith||TE||6'2"||244||Saguaro H.S. (AZ )||TE #65||75||Verbal|
|Fred Thornton||OT||6'4"||290||South Mountain H.S. (AZ )||OT #109||74||Verbal|
|Jamal Miles||RB||5'10"||175||Peoria H.S. (AZ )||RB #128||74||Verbal|
|Brock Osweiler||QB||6'8"||230||Flathead H.S. (MT )||QB #76||74||Signed|
|Shane McCullen||ATH||6'2"||193||Apache Junction H.S. (AZ )||ATH #149||73||Verbal|
|Marcus Washington||RB||6'1"||190||Desert Vista H.S. (AZ )||RB #153||73||Verbal|
|Dean Deleone||DE||6-2||245||Park City, UT||Orange Coast College||JC||Signed|
|LeQuan Lewis||CB||5-10||190||Artesia, CA||Cerritos College||JC||Signed|
The quality and quantity of recruits puts at us about 5th so far in the Pac-10.
Just glancing at the lists, I would say at this point the '09 classes would rank out:
1. USC - natch. They have 9 top 150 players. Wow.
2. UCLA - really strong class for Neuheisel. Top TE, top 10 QB. Solid. 21 total.
3. Stanford - Sort of a surprise. Deep class with some top talent.
4. Cal - 5 players rated 80 or above, a lot of JC talent.
5. ASU - Only 16 at this point but no one ranks lower than 73. Lots of depth.
6. Arizona - 20 commits, but 5 are JC/Transfer and 3 are unknowns
7. Oregon State - 21, some decent talents, a lot of unknowns.
8. Oregon - 15 commits, nearly half are JCs. Most of their players are good though.
9. Washington State - Quantity over quality, but that is fine for a program like this.
10. Washington - Hard to recruit with a coach who just got to Seattle and no wins.