ASU has their hands full tonight. After losing both contests to Washington in the regular season, we play our final tilt on a neutral floor, where we are 5-1 on the season (losing only to Baylor in the Anaheim Classic in November).
This is the first time Washington has ever been the #1 seed in the Pac-10 tournament. They are also the only team not to lose two consecutive conference games this season.
What we are dealing with is a consistent, experienced team. Justin Dentmon and Jon Brockman are both seniors, and contribute 30 points a game to the cause.
The dynamic freshman Isaiah Thomas is someone who ASU really has to worry about. He averages 15.4 PPG, 3 RPG, and 2.6 APG. He's a stud who is showing no signs of slowing down.
Some more Washington Husky tidbits:
- This was UW's first regular season Pac-10 Championship since 1953.
- They are a strong rebounding team, averaging 41 a game.
- Jon Brockman has 58 career double-doubles, the most of any active college basketball player.
- UW is 7-3 on the road in Pac-10 play (including yesterday's win against Stanford)
- Washington lost to California twice this season.
- Washington opened up the season 3-3, losing to Portland, Kansas, and Florida before going on a 9 game winning streak.
In the first loss of the season by ASU to Washington, Thomas scored 25 points and we lost by 13.
In the second game, Thomas only scored 11, and we took them to overtime and lost by only 3. Coincidence?
I will be at the game, and will post a detailed recap afterwards. The photo essay that will be up this weekend will be very awesome, so keep on the lookout for that.
Prediction: ASU 84, Washington 79
I think we finally break through tonight, and become a legitimate player in March Madness.