One thing we learned from the first half: Cal is much better than Utah at this point of the season.
The Golden Bears are no slouches, however, as they soon responded with a touchdown of their own in the opening minutes of the second quarter. Isi Sofele, Cal's feature back, scampered for 24 yards right up the gut of the ASU defense to even the score.
On a long ensuing drive after a punt from each side, Alex Garoutte knocked in a 28-yard field goal to give the Devils a 10-7 lead.
The turning point of the half: Isi Sofele fumbled the ball at Cal's 37-yard line. Kelly engineered an impressive drive that resulted in a tough catch by Kevin Ozier for a touchdown and a 10-point cushion for ASU going into the half.
Big stars of the first half:
- Will Sutton: This guy was a beast. He blew up the Cal line on multiple occasions and made life hell for Zach Maynard.
- Taylor Kelly: Kid can ball. Creative and fleet of foot, Kelly made plays happen long after it seemed all hope was lost. At the half, he is 14/25 for 121 yards and two touchdowns.
- Chris Coyle: Kelly's favorite target made four key catches for 38 yards.
- Josh Hubner: Averaging over 46 yards on four punts.
- Alden Darby: Recovered Sofele's fumble and led to the big cushion.