The Odds: Arizona State (-15), Colorado (+15), Over/Under: 69
The Breakdown: After a somewhat unfortunate first half against the New Mexico Lobos, ASU turned on the jets and took care of business in Albuquerque with a 58-23 win. UNM's triple option gave the Sun Devils some trouble to start, but the game plan was solid and ASU held the Lobos offense scoreless in the second half. As I mentioned last week, "ASU's defense is a lot less experienced than the team that beat up on Navy in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl in 2012," and it showed early on. It's the adjustments that matter.
Early season road wins are great for a program - they allow the young players to deal with adversity and they give them confidence for the remaining games on the schedule. With some of the toughest tests in Tempe this season (Stanford, UCLA, Notre Dame), coming home a winner in their Pac-12 opener would be a very big deal.
Now, lets get to the analysis of the betting line.
All stats and odds are provided by OddsShark.
Terminology guide: ATS = against the spread. SU = straight up. OVER and UNDER refer to the total amount of points scored in the game compared to the line.
- Arizona State is 9-2 SU in its last 11 games
- The total has gone OVER in 12 of Arizona State's last 18 games
- Arizona State is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games on the road
- The total has gone OVER in 6 of Arizona State's last 7 games on the road
- Colorado is 5-17 SU in its last 22 games
- The total has gone OVER in 6 of Colorado's last 9 games
- Colorado is 3-10 SU in its last 13 games at home
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Colorado's last 6 games at home
- Arizona State is 5-0 ATS in its last 5 games when playing Colorado
- Colorado is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games when playing Arizona State