For the first time this season, the Arizona State Sun Devils' hockey team will hit the road for a game. The Sun Devils heads up to Alaska to take part in the Kendall Hockey Classic this weekend, facing Division I teams from the University of Alaska-Anchorage and from the University of Alaska-Fairbanks.
Here are some of the key notes from Coach Powers' weekly press conference:
- Against Arizona, Powers was able to dress an extra defensemen and an extra forward because it was considered an exhibition game. This weekend in Alaska, he is unable to do that. The plan in to carry eight of his nine d-men, and Powers didn't rule out the chance that all eight see time.
- Powers says the team embraces the opportunity for road games.
"It's a great opportunity for a young team to get away from everything and bond," Powers said. "We excited to see our how guys react to that."
- Getting the first game of the season out of the way was a huge deal for the Sun Devils, having only one full day of practice to prepare. Now this week, the team has had more practice time and feels more prepared but "I'm sure there's going to be a lot that we need to work on after the weekend too," the coach added.
- Robert Levin was limited in practice up until about a week ago.
- ASU begins a long stretch of road games with their next home contests coming on Oct. 23 and 24.