clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

ASU Basketball: Late run burns Sun Devils as Marquette wins 78-73 in overtime

Arizona State held an 8-point lead with seven minutes left on Tuesday but was unable to close out a win.

Anthony Gruppuso-USA TODAY Sports

For the first time this season, the Arizona State Sun Devils lack of size caught up to them.

After forward Eric Jacobsen fouled out of Tuesday's Legends Classic championship game with seven minutes remaining, the Marquette Golden Eagles closed the contest on a 23-10 run.

That outbreak allowed Marquette (3-2) to sneak out of the Barclays Center with a 78-73 overtime win, giving the Golden Eagles the tournament's championship trophy in the process.

After two impressive performances from these teams Monday in the semifinals, this game got off to a bit of a sluggish start. Three consecutive airballs were thrown up before the first media timeout, with both teams already in the bonus less than eight minutes into the game.

The excessive fouling — and airballing — would eventually stop. Marquette controlled the pace for most of the first half and held onto the lead until a Obinna Oleka 3-pointer put Arizona State (3-2) up 30-28 with two minutes remaining. The Golden Eagles would come back to even the score at 33, but a long shot from point guard Tra Holder went down at the buzzer to give his team a three point advantage at the break.

The Sun Devils took the momentum from that shot and parlayed it into some energy coming out of the locker room. The offense was much sharper, but Marquette was able to get a key bucket whenever it looked like they were about to pull away.

Up 63-55 with six and a half minutes to play, Jacobsen committed his fifth and final foul of the game far, far away from his own basket. That left the Sun Devils with zero true big men for the rest of the night, and the tables were turned big time from that point on.

The Golden Eagles quickly chipped away at the deficit, going inside with ease for the rest of the game. A pair of Luke Fischer free throws tied the game at 65 with 2:45 left, and they took a two point lead less than a minute later on another trip to the line. The lead change forced Bobby Hurley to take a timeout, and the much-needed break ended up working out well for the maroon and gold.

Forward Savon Goodman got open on a pick play coming out of the timeout, and his jump shot tied the game once again at 67-67. That's how regulation would end, as both teams struggled on their final possessions to get good looks at a win.

The first few minutes of overtime were a back and forth affair, with both teams trading baskets until Steve Wojciechowski's team pulled away in the final 90 seconds. The Golden Eagles got the victory doing what worked for them in the previous other 43 minutes —getting to the charity stripe.

Their final five points all came on free throws, while ASU only managed to get up two shots in the final minute and a half on the other end. The final was 78-73, sending Hurley and company into Thanksgiving break with a bitter taste in their mouths.

Arizona State dropped to 3-2 on the season with the loss, leaving New York with a 1-1 split. Holder led the team with 15 points in defeat, while Gerry Blakes added 13 points and six rebounds.