clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

ASU Basketball: Sun Devils fall in wild overtime game at Washington 95-83

The Arizona State Sun Devils shut down leading Pac-12 scorer Andrew Andrews long enough to give themselves a shot at the W, but fell just short after the guard came up big in the dwindling moments of overtime.

Joe Nicholson-USA TODAY Sports

The Arizona State Sun Devils fell in overtime to the Washington Huskies Wednesday in Washington, after controlling the majority of the game on the road.

The Sun Devils (12-11, 2-8 Pac-12) leapt out front fast with lockdown defense that kept Pac-12's leading scorer and Washington guard Andrew Andrews out of the lane and off the board for the first 13 minutes of play thanks to ASU guard Tra Holder.

Fast transition defense allowed the Sun Devils to embark on a 12-0 run over three minutes to go up 21-7 over the Huskies (15-7, 7-3 Pac-12), which struggled from behind the arc (18 percent in first half) and couldn't find their way into the lane.

Meanwhile the Sun Devils caught fire behind the arc, shooting 57 percent from deep in the first half of the game behind Holder's career-high five three's.

Full-court pressure and fast ball movement that forced the Sun Devils to shift into zone saw the Huskies answer with a 9-0 run of their own to shrink the deficit back to four points at 21-16 with 7:38 left to play in the half.

ASU's bench points were a huge factor in the first half, with 13, led by guard Kodi Justice's six, contributing to ASU's ability to counter the 13 points off turnovers ASU handed to Washington.

The Sun Devils went into the locker room with a comfortable 12-point lead at 44-32 with three Sun Devils in double digit scoring (Willie Atwood, Gerry Blakes and Holder) and with a slight edge, 16-13 on the boards.

Holder continued to wreak havoc from the perimeter in the second half, stretching the lead back out to 11 after the Huskies crept within eight with 15 minutes left to play in regulation.

Another 11-0 run by Washington erased the Sun Devils' comfortable lead by the 12-minute mark, with Washington within a bucket of tying it up at 51-49. The Huskies took their first lead from the free-throw line, a place that would become the deciding factor of this matchup.

With both teams in the bonus and three Sun Devils fouled out (Goodman, Jacobsen and Atwood) it was up to Justice and Holder to catalyze their offense, and up to the frontcourt to win the 50-50 balls. The Sun Devils had just five scholarship players available toward the end of the game.

With 2:22 left to play and the score knotted up at 71-71, freshman guard Dejounte Murray single-handedly keeping his team in it with a monster game.

Murray finished the game with 34 points and 11 rebounds.

With 13 seconds left to play in regulation, Kodi Justice kept the Sun Devils' hopes alive with a buzzer-beating 3-pointer that would send the game into overtime.

The Sun Devils would not last long however, going 0-and-5 from the field with a turnover to allow the Huskies to grab a nine point lead after back-to-back Andrews buckets from behind the arc.

The Sun Devils didn't have enough players to create enough offense to dig themselves out of the hole, intimately falling after what looked early to be an upset over a team in a four-way tie for second in the Pac-12.

The Sun Devils will continue their travels in Washington on Sunday at 4:30 p.m. MST when they take on Washington State. The Pac-12 Networks will have the broadcast.