The Arizona State Sun Devils wrapped up their first week of fall training camp Saturday at the Verde Dickey Dome.
The team had initially planned to conclude Week 1 of practices at the team’s historic Camp Tontozona site, however inclement weather forced the team to finish in Tempe.
Below, we provide a report of what was seen and heard on Saturday.
Future of Camp T
Graham said it was “really hard” to make the decision to return to Tempe for Saturday’s practice.
He said the most important thing about Camp Tontozona is the time for bonding both players and coaches experience because “you just don’t get that type of interaction anywhere else.”
Graham says in the future he’d love to practice at Camp T for the first 10-14 days, but improvements need to be made to the facilities in order for that to become a possibility.
Tim White earns Tillman jersey
Wide receiver Tim White dawned a camouflage Pat Tillman jersey. He’s the first to sport the uniform this season.
Graham said he awarded White with the honor because of his competitiveness and character, notably in the classroom and off the field.
Media members were allowed to view team warmups, individual drills, and three series of offense-only two-minute drill on Saturday.
The offensive groupings lined up in 11-personnel, or formations consisting of three wide receivers, one tight end flexed into a slot alignment, and one running back in the backfield.
Things are still fluid, and this doesn’t necessarily reflect any player’s standing on the depth chart, but here’s how the three offenses were ordered:
QB: Brady White
RB: Demario Richard
WR (outside): Ellis Jefferson, Jalen Harvey
WR (slot): Tim White
TE (slot): Kody Kohl
LT: Evan Goodman
LG: Sam Jones
C: Stephon McCray
RG: Zach Robertson
RT: Quinn Bailey
QB: Manny Wilkins
RB: Nick Ralston
WR (outside): N’Keal Harry, Cameron Smith
WR (slot): Frederick Gammage
TE (slot): Raymond Epps
LT: Evan Goodman
LG: Connor Humphreys
C: Tyler McClure
RG: Cade Cote
RT: Steven Miller
QB: Bryce Perkins
RB: Jason Lewis
WR (outside): Terrell Chatman, Frank Darby
WR (slot): Kyle Williams
TE: Jared Bubak
LT: Mason Walter
LG: Alex Losoya
C: Cohl Cabral
RG: Zach Robertson
RT: Brock Corbin
- Granted it was against no defense, but N’Keal Harry is as smooth as advertised. Wilkins connected with the freshman on a fade route towards the end zone to end their drive.
- Running back Kalen Ballage is not hurt. He took part in running back individual drills, but wasn’t a part of the first group's drive nor the second during two-minute drills. He’s fully healthy.
- Graham said that he has "tremendous respect" for defensive end Christian Hill, who served in the Air Force prior to joining the team. "I think our players have a lot of respect for him. He's a guy that's going to be an asset for us. His ceiling is high."
- The one thing that's stood out to Graham during the first four days of practice is the "fundamental improvement at receiver."
- Graham sees the linebacker unit as one of the deepest position groups on the team. “With (Calhoun) and Christian (Sam), Salamo (Fiso) and (Koron) Crump and Marcus Ball, and Khaylan Thomas and Carlos Mendoza, ... there’s lots of competition.”
- Junior transfer A.J. McCollum has been held out of practices (unknown), but is expected to compete at the center position with McCray, McClure and Cahbral once available.
- “One of the things I like about the offensive line is the amount of competition that we have,” Graham said. “I think we probably have more depth than we’ve had in the past.”
Arizona State will resume practice on Monday morning in Tempe, marking the beginning of week two of fall camp.