The breakdown: The Arizona State Sun Devils (6-5, 5-3 Pac-12) and Arizona Wildcats (7-4, 5-3) meet in a battle for second place in the Pac-12 South in the 91st Territorial Cup at 2:30 p.m. on Saturday in Tempe.
In the last four contests, ASU and U of A have won their respective home games. Arizona State has won seven of the last 12 contests; however, Arizona leads the all-time series 49-40-1.
The Wildcats: After a 2-2 start, Arizona shot ahead to 6-2 following a four-game win streak and Pac-12 Championship Game hopes that were crushed in a 49-35 loss to USC. Arizona is Saturday’s favorite, but was exposed in a 48-28 loss to Oregon in its last contest. The Wildcats’ rush defense gave up 353 yards to the Ducks, while Heisman Watch Arizona quarterback Khalil Tate was held to just 32 ground yards and threw two interceptions.
The Sun Devils: ASU rallied to smooth 40-24 win over Oregon State. The Sun Devils are 4-2 in their last six contests, but 2-2 in their last four. The key theme in each loss this season: 30-plus. The Sun Devils have given up 30 or more points in all five losses this season. Actually, they’ve given up over 30 or more in 28 straight losses, beginning with a 41-23 loss to Oregon on Oct. 18, 2012. It’s obvious, the key for Saturday will be the defense. In four of their six wins this season, the Sun Devils have held teams to 30 points or less.
The odds: Arizona (-2), Arizona State win (+115), Arizona win (-130). Over/Under: 74
Arizona State (6-4-1 ATS)
- Arizona State is 6-2 against the spread in its last eight games.
- Arizona State is 4-2 straight up in its past six games.
- The total has gone UNDER in four Arizona State’s last six home games.
- The total has gone OVER in Arizona State’s last five games against Arizona.
- Arizona is 5-2 straight up in its last seven home games against Arizona.
Arizona (5-5-1 ATS)
- Arizona is 1-3-1 straight up in its last five games.
- Arizona is 5-2 straight up over its last seven games.
- Arizona is 2-9 in its last 11 games against the spread on the road.
- Arizona is 4-9 straight up in its last 13 games on the road.
- The total has gone OVER in nine of Arizona’s last 11 games on the road.
Note: For entertainment purposes only.