The breakdown: In 12 games this season, the Arizona State Sun Devils (7-5, 6-3 Pac-12) were underdogs in eight of them, including seven of nine games in Pac-12 play.
They came away with seven wins.
Once again, against the No. 24 N.C. State Wolfpack (8-4, 6-2 ACC), Vegas won’t put ASU on top.
The Wolfpack and Sun Devils are 1-1 all-time against each other, but haven’t played since 1974. The two will collide on Friday, Dec. 29 at the Sun Bowl in El Paso, Texas at 1 p.m. MT
NC State is 16-13-1 in bowl games, while ASU is 14-14-1. This is the Wolfpacks’ first trip to the Sun Bowl. On the other hand, the Sun Devils are 3-1-1 with three wins in their last three appearances.
The Wolfpack: In seven games to start the season, NC State won six of them, slashing out wins over then-No. 12 Florida State and then-No. 17 Louisville. It look a 6-1 start and a No. 14 ranking for the Wolfpack to then self-destruct, losing three of their last five. But the Wolfpack are no joke.
Equipped with a 3,000-yard passer in Ryan Finley and 1,000-yard rusher in Nyheim Hines, NC State scored the fourth-most points in the ACC at 30.6 per game. Its defense held opposing rushers to just 132.2 yards per game, which is good for 28th in the nation. Defensive end Bradley Chubb is much of the reason. Chubb broke the NC State record for most career sacks and led the ACC with 10 this season. However, Chubb may not play Friday, so he doesn’t hurt his draft stock.
The odds: NC State (-6.5), Arizona State win (+230), NC State win (-250). Over/Under: 59.5
NC State (4-7-1 ATS)
- The total has gone UNDER in eight of North Carolina State's last nine games.
- North Carolina State is 1-3-1 against the spread in its last five games.
- North Carolina State is 8-3 straight up in its last 11 games.
Arizona State (7-4-1 ATS)
- The total has gone OVER in four of Arizona State's last five games.
- Arizona State is 7-2 against the spread in its last nine games.
- Arizona State is 5-2 straight up in its last seven games.
Note: For entertainment purposes only