TEMPE, Ariz. — Welcome back, everybody.
The Arizona State Sun Devils opened spring practices Tuesday morning at the Kajikawa Practice Fields.
The session marked the first time media was permitted to view the team since the close of the 2016 campaign, and is one of 14 scheduled sessions before ASU’s spring game on April 15. Two other practices are scheduled for the week, on Thursday and Saturday.
The team worked through several workouts n front of media, including stretches, ball security, team tempo, individual drills, two-man pods, and a teaching segment.
- Quarterback Brady White (right foot) was not in green, and while he didn't take part in team drills, was able to throw to tight ends during their individual drills.
- Listed receiver Frank Darby participated with the defensive unit.
- Receivers are still getting the hang of offensive coordinator Billy Napier’s offensive scheme. The newly-added assistant got on his players during the “pods” segment for misalignments.
- Tight end Grant Martinez is now serving on staff as a graduate assistant.
Spring Green (players in non-contact jerseys)
- Marcus Ball, participated in individual drills
- Bryce Perkins, participated in individual drills
- Deion Guignard, participated in individual drills
- Cade Cote, participated in individual drills
- DJ Davidson, participated in individual drills
- Kareem Orr, participated in individual and team drills
8 - Blake Barnett, QB*
73 - Cohl Cabral, OT
99 - Dougladson Subtyl, LB*
1 - Brandon Ruiz, K
2 - Curtis Hodges, WR
3 - Kyle Soelle, LB
6 - Evan Fields, DB
10 - KJ Jarrell, S
11 - Mark Walton, TE
18 - Langston Frederick, DB
23 - Eno Benjamin, RB*
26 - Ty Thomas, S*
44 - Shannon Forman, DT
74 - Corey Stephens, OL
Note: No numbers yet for DB Darien Cornay, TE Ceejhay French-Love; * denotes new addition who was participating at today’s practice.
New Media Policy
Media is not permitted to report on “the frequency of names/types of personnel groups/schemes, trick play formations, etc.,” under ASU’s spring football practice media policy.
- Safety Armand Perry was ruled out for the rest of spring following surgery, according to ASU head coach Todd Graham.
- Brady White ruled out for spring (foot).
Graham: "We have very definitive goals for what we're trying to accomplish." Says team is hungry, has plenty of speed, added experience.— Kaelen Jones (@kaelenjones) March 14, 2017
Graham said players had a "workman's like mentality" today.— Kaelen Jones (@kaelenjones) March 14, 2017
Graham says new DC Bennett brings high energy, intensity. Noted relationship with him.— Kaelen Jones (@kaelenjones) March 14, 2017
Graham said S Armand Perry will be out for spring following surgery. QB Brady White (foot), too.— Kaelen Jones (@kaelenjones) March 14, 2017
Listed WRs Jeremy Smith and Frank Darby worked out at DB today. Graham said "quick" decisions will be made in regards to it.— Kaelen Jones (@kaelenjones) March 14, 2017
Graham: "The players we have in place, we have great belief in." Added new coaches all believe in teaching model. Goal to establish trust.— Kaelen Jones (@kaelenjones) March 14, 2017
New OC Billy Napier says he trusts talent level of players on offense. Said it'll come down to the intangibles w/#ASU offense.— Kaelen Jones (@kaelenjones) March 14, 2017
Napier: "We're a long way" from determining that.— Kaelen Jones (@kaelenjones) March 14, 2017