TEMPE, Ariz. — Arizona State held its third practice of the spring Saturday morning at Sun Devil Stadium.
Players worked in full pads for the first time, taking part in stretches, as well as ball security, tempo and individual drills in front of media during a session that lasted around 45 minutes. The program was hosting its annual Junior Day, as high school junior recruits took in the practice along the boundaries.
Attire: Pads (First day wearing full pads.)
Music: Blessings (Lecrae ft. Ty Dolla), Ran Off on the Plug Twice (Plies), B.O.B. (Outkast)
Podium Speakers (Video will accompany bottom of post later.): Head coach Todd Graham, Offensive coordinator Billy Napier
Spring Green (non-contact jerseys)
- Bryce Perkins (QB), participated in individual drills
- Cade Cote (OL), participated in individual drills
- Kareem Orr (CB), participated in individual and team drills
- Armand Perry (S) - OUT (surgery), will be out for entirety of spring practices, per Graham.
- Brady White (QB) - OUT (foot), will be out for entirety of spring practices (has taken part in individual drills, throwing to tight ends, but is doing so from stand-still position), per Graham.
- Marcus Ball (S), - Limited, didn’t participate in individual drills; was out of non-contact jersey and wore helmet, but no thigh/leg pads.
- Jalen Bates (DL) - Limited (surgery), per Graham.
- Eno Benjamin (RB) - Limited (surgery), per Graham.
Returned to Practice
- Cameron Smith (WR) — the redshirt-senior wide receiver took part in his first spring practice of the offseason on Saturday.
- J’Marcus Rhodes (DB) — the senior transfer defensive back was identified at practice for the first time this spring, and
- Zach Robertson (OL) — was at practice but did not participate in drills, and was not fully suited.
- Koron Crump (LB) — was at practice and participated in individual drills.
- Cornerback Robbie Robinson still has yet to report to spring practice. There has been worry the sophomore is transferring from the team. Nothing has been confirmed or made official by the program as of now.
Updating the QB Battle
Nothing much has changed. As for analysis of today’s workouts, Dillon Sterling-Cole’s passes looked the most energetic, but play across the board hasn’t produced a clear-cut No. 1.
Kaelen’s Clubhouse Leader/If the season started today, I’d say: Manny Wilkins.
- Former ASU safety Jordan Simone was at practice today.
- Early reps being distributed to newcomer Ty Thomas on defense.
- Before practice, as some players were headed out of the tunnel to Frank Kush Field, others returned, alerting those about to leave the locker room that they needed to wear hip pads, causing several players to return to the locker room.
- Quotable: “Fatigue makes a coward of us all.” - new defensive line coach Michael Slater during individual drills.
Any questions, just send them to the comments section. I’ll try to be around.