The breakdown: The Cardinal have had an inconsistent start to their season. After crushing Rice, Stanford was handedly beaten by USC and fell just short of beating SDSU in a defensive battle. After questions were raised about how good the Cardinal really were, they bounced back and beat UCLA by 24.
The next three games (ASU, Utah and Oregon) should go a long way in proving how good David Shaw’s program really is.
The Devils have had a similar beginning to their season, dropping games to the Aztecs and Texas Tech before upsetting a top-25 Oregon team last week.
Neither team has established an iron-clad identity through the first four weeks, but both will have a huge chance to gain a key conference victory Saturday afternoon.
Here’s how Vegas has broken down the matchup:
The odds: Arizona State (+17), Stanford (-17), Over/Under 61.5
- Arizona State is 1-5-1 against the spread in its last seven games on the road
- Arizona State is 1-6 straight up in its last seven games when playing on the road against Stanford
- Arizona State is 1-3-1 against the spread in its last five games
- The total has gone UNDER in four of Arizona State’s last five games when playing Stanford
- The total has gone OVER in four of Arizona STate’s last six games when playing on the road against Stanford
- Stanford is 2-4 against the spread inits last six games
- Stanford is 8-2 straight up in its last ten games
- Stanford is 13-3 straight up in its last 16 games at home
- Stanford is 6-1 straight up in its last seven games when playing at home against Arizona State
- Stanford is 1-4 against the spread in its last five games at home
- Stanford has been pretty dominant at home across the last couple seasons, but often struggled to really pull away. This one could be a bit closer than the — in my opinion — very generous 17 point spread would indicate.
- When ASU loses on the road, they lose big. The Devils have closed the gap on the spread just one time across its last seven contests.
Note: For entertainment purposes only.