The odds: Arizona State (-3.5), San Diego State (+3.5), Over/Under: 55
The breakdown: Although both teams took care of their week one matchups and won games they were heavily favored in, there’s no doubt that the Aztecs (1-0) have looked consistently better than the Sun Devils (1-0) in the last couple years.
San Diego State has won 11 games in each of its last two seasons and both years emerged victorious as the Mountain West champions. Rocky Long has truly turned the Aztecs into one of the strongest group of five programs in the nation.
Last week, the Aztecs hammered UC Davis 38-17 behind senior running back Rashaad Penny’s 197 yard performance. SDSU put up 513 yards of total offense and their perennial top-20 defense limited the Mustangs to just 315 total yards.
ASU did not fair as well in their season opener. The Sun Devils defensive unit allowed 521 yards of total offense, including 357 yards through the air. The offense started out firing on all cylinders, but often slowed down and relied on huge plays to keep their lead.
Now, it’s time to turn our focus towards this week. Below, we take a look at each teams’ recent stats against the spread and some of their previous results against each other.
Here we go...
- Arizona State is 1-4 against the spread in its last five games
- Arizona State is 1-6 straight up in its last seven games
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Arizona State’s last six games
- Arizona State is 8-2 against the spread in its last 10 games at home
- Arizona State is 15-5 straight up in its last 20 games at home
SAN DIEGO STATE
- San Diego State is 1-4 against the spread in its last five games
- San Diego State is 22-3 straight up in its last 25 games
- San Diego State is 12-2 straight up in its last 14 games on the road
- The total has gone OVER in 8 of San Diego State’s last 12 games on the road
The most interesting stat here is not only that SDSU has won 22 of its last 25 games, but the Aztecs has additionally gone 12-2 on the road across their last 14. They have often failed to cover the spread across their last five contests, however.
The Sun Devils have clearly struggled against the spread as of late and they should be up for another tough test here, favored by nearly four against a strong program that plays great on the road.
Teams are given three points for playing at home, so the Devils are closer to being favored by just 0.5. Combine the close line with how different the programs momentum has been in recent years and you have a game that is truly too close to call.
Although both teams play very different types of offense, they should be able to put up points Saturday night. SDSU and ASU run a ton of plays and each were able to gain 400 yards in week one. I’d say the over is a safe bet.
Note: For entertainment purposes only.