The Arizona State Sun Devils ran through their thirteenth spring practice Tuesday morning in full pads and cleats at the Kajikawa Practice Fields.
ASU has one more practice before its spring game at Sun Devil Soccer Stadium on Friday at 7 p.m.
Last practice: Friday, April 6
Next practice: Thursday, April 10 (9:30 a.m.)
Nice For What (Drake), PROUD (2 Chainz Ft. YG & Offset), Psycho (Post Malone)
DeMonte King, Chase Lucas, Dougladson Subtyl, Koron Crump and D.J. Davidson each left practice early to head into the Dicky Dome after stretching and did not compete in 11-on-11 on 7-on-7 drills. Ty Thomas and Cade Cote exited practice prior to stretching.
- Eno Benjamin did not attend practice after he showed up to, but did not perform in Friday’s 11-on-11 drills.
- Curtis Hodges practiced for the first time after missing the previous two. He took third team receiver reps.
- Joey Bryant was back in action at a third-team cornerback for 11-on-11’s. However, not one ball was thrown in his direction.
What else we noticed
- While it was without a line or formation, Michael Sleep-Dalton was punting from the opposing 40-yard line and nailed the ball inside the 10-yard line twice in a row.
- Ryan Newsome and Trevor Russell returned punts. The two were joined by Trelon Smith to return kicks.
- In a series of fake punts, Sleep-Dalton played quarterback. On one play, N’Keal Harry rolled behind Sleep-Dalton from right side to his left after the ball was snapped. He then pitched it to Harry who ran forward. Twice, Sleep-Dalton passed it to a receiver who ran a slant towards the middle of the field, and both were good throws near the chest. However, Jalen Harvey missed it, while Tyler Whiley caught it. The third fake punt was about an 8-yard pass caught by Bryant who set up as a receiver on the left side and performed a curl route.
- Halfway into Wilkins’ first drive, he threw about a 15-yard pass, finding Harry about three yards from the end zone. He was tackled at the 2-yard line. The drive was then reset back to the 20-yard line. Smith ran it twice for about five yards each run up the middle. Wilkins then rolled out and hit Frank Darby about three yards forward. He’d only need to run a few more yards, before he hit the pylon, scoring a touchdown.
- Wilkins hit Ryan Jenkins on an in route about 10 yards up the middle of the field, before he got sacked. On a ball intended for Kyle Williams, Malik Lawal tipped it twice before it fell to the ground. Wilkins then sent a 30-yard pass to Jenkins near the end zone that was out of his reach. He dove forwards, fully extended, as the ball tipped off his hands. Special teams coordinator Shawn Slocum shouted “fourth down.” Wilkins had about ten yards to go. He hit Ryan Newsome three yards ahead. He was then pushed out of bounds.
- Mark “Goose” Cosgrove earned two to three yards in his first two runs. Sterling-Cole then missed his intended receiver by five to eight yards. He later hit Mark Walton on a slant where he was pushed out of bounds. Cosgrove then picked up two yards, before Daniel-Effiong Sanders gained two more yards on a screen.
- Sterling-Cole threw a screen pass to Effiong-Sanders that hit his feet and rolled out of bounds. Jeremy Smith and Trevor Russell then caught two to three-yard passes. Curtis Hodges caught a screen where he sprinted past the defensive backs for about 15 yards, before the play was called dead. On his final play, Sterling-Cole nailed a ball off the finger tips of Russell who was clocked by Evan Fields as he touched the ball.
- In 7-on-7 reps, Barnett dumped it off to Cosgrove for short passes twice for about four yards. He then aimed for Daniel Effiong-Sanders who was popped by Tautalatasi. Coach Herm Edwards then shouted “Don’t hit the guy, play the ball!” In a game situation, it may have been reviewed for targeting. Barnett then hit Jeremy Smith just short of of the end zone.
- Barnett’s 11-on-11 drive was reset near the 20-yard line. Cosgrove missed a pass behind the line of scrimmage, before Jalen Harvey leaped up and intercepted a pass for intended for Walton in the back corner of the end zone. Barnett then found Ryan Newsome in the middle of the end zone on an in route from 15 yards out. The throw was straight to his chest. In his final play, he hit Mark Walton in the middle end zone as well from 15 yards.
- Towards the end of his final drive, Barnett ran for about two yards. He then launched a 30-yard pass to Frank Darby who beat Darien Cornay to the end zone and caught it over his shoulder.
Another practice, another Jalen Harvey interception pic.twitter.com/Ps9Dqkv2qw— Jordan Kaye (@jordankaye_23) April 10, 2018
Preston Liger knocks tha ball out of N’Keal Harry’s hands and Harry just lies on the ground for a while pic.twitter.com/Ut8xdBRdKU— Jordan Kaye (@jordankaye_23) April 10, 2018
QB: Manny Wilkins
RB: Trelon Smith
WR: N’Keal Harry, Kyle Williams, Terrell Chatman
TE: Tommy Hudson
OL: Tyson Rising (LT), Alex Losoya (LG), Cohl Cabral (C), Steven Miller (RG), Quinn Bailey (RT)
QB: Blake Barnett
RB: Mike “Goose” Cosgrove
WR: Frank Darby, Ryan Newsome, Ryan Jenkins
TE: Jared Bubak/Mark Walton
OL: Zach Robertson (LT), Jesse Cozens (LG), Corey Stephens (C), Michael Tate (RG), Kyle Breed (RT)
DL: Jalen Bates, Shannon Forman, Renell Wren
LB: Jay Jay Wilson, Khaylan Thomas*, Malik Lawal
Tillman: Evan Fields
CB: Terin Adams, Kobe Williams
Safety: Langston Frederick, Dominique Harrison
DL: Jamie Diaz, Jordan Hoyt, Tyler Johnson
LB: Kyle Soelle, Anthony Nicastro, Khaylan Thomas*
Tillman: Tyler Whiley
CB: Kordell Caldwell, Darien Cornay
Safety: Cody French, Caleb McShanag
*Thomas took reps with both the first and second teams.
In another 11-on-11 sequence, following a run through of 7-on-7 plays, all was the same except Darius Slade was on first-team d-line and Nick Ralston was a first-team linebacker. Fields and Whiley swapped teams, but remained at the Tillman position.