Two Arizona State programs took home victories to open its seasons. Men’s golf had a 12.5-11.5 comeback win over Arizona to win the Copper Cup in Maricopa, while women’s tennis had a clean sweep of Grand Canyon University 7-0.
The Sun Devils were down a point headed into Monday. Arizona State flipped the points in the singles part of Monday’s event.
Just like Sunday, the two teams split the foursomes points in half. Arizona State’s pairings of Chun An Yu/Blake Wagoner (4&3) and Cameron Sisk/Mason Andersen (2&1) won their groupings.
Meanwhile, Arizona’s Brad Reeves/Christian Banke (2&1) and Sam Sommerhauser/Chase Sienkiewicz (1UP) brought the Wildcats two points.
Arizona State needed to win at least five of the eight singles matches to pull off the win on Monday. It appeared the Wildcats were on their way to victory as they won the first two matches.
Instead, the Sun Devils brought it back with four wins themselves. Arizona led each of the last two matches heading into the backend of the course.
It was David Puig who was the hero for ASU. He trailed Briggs Duce by one heading into Hole 16. Puig won 16 and 17, then protected his lead on 18 to give Arizona State the lead.
The full results from the singles matches are below:
UA Chase Sienkiewicz over ASU Jeewon Park (4&3)
UA Chaz Aurilia over ASU Gage Salvanera (3&2)
ASU Blake Wagoner over UA David Laskin (2&1)
ASU Chun An Yu over UA Sam Sommerhauser (5&4)
ASU Ryggs Johnston over UA Christian Banke (4&3)
ASU David Puig over UA Briggs Duce (1UP)
UA Brad Reeves over ASU Mason Andersen (3&2)
ASU Cameron Sisk over UA Trevor Werbylo (4&3)
The team will head to California next week to be a part of the three-day Southwestern Invitational at North Ranch Country Club in Westlake Village.
The tournament features other schools such as host Pepperdine, SMU, USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, San Diego State and more.
No. 20 Arizona State women’s tennis kept its perfect record against in-state rival Grand Canyon on Monday. The Sun Devils’ 7-0 win improved their record over GCU to 14-0.
Below are the final scores for each match:
1. Hattingh,Ilze (ASU) def. Natasha Puehse (GCU) 6-2, 6-4
2. Morlet,Giulia (ASU) def. Emilia Occhipinti (GCU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Argyrokastriti,M (ASU) def. Jana Weiss (GCU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Turkovic,Domenika (ASU) def. Autum Prudhomme (GCU) 6-3, 7-5
5. Kolarova,Tereza (ASU) def. Taylor Andersen (GCU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Jankowski,Cali (ASU) def. Aline Buhr (GCU) 6-3, 6-2
1. Hattingh,Ilze/Jankowski,Cali (ASU) def. Natasha Puehse/Jana Weiss (GCU) 6-3
2. Kolarova,Tereza/Morlet,Giulia (ASU) def. Emilia Occhipinti/Autum Prudhomme (GCU) 6-0
3. Argyrokastriti,M/Klanecek,Sasa (ASU) def. Taylor Andersen/Joely Lomas (GCU) 6-0
The team will head to Austin, Texas to be part of the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Kickoff Weekend. Arizona State will play No. 24 LSU on Saturday and either No. 3 Texas or No. 23 Baylor depending on the results of the matches.