No. 4 Arizona State (5-2) water polo welcomed a pair of top-10 ranked teams to Tempe on Friday. The Sun Devils kept it close with both No. 1 USC (2-0) and No. 6 Michigan (5-0), but ultimately fell in both matchups.
In the first game against the Trojans, the first half was neck and neck before USC pulled away to a 16-8 win.
The Sun Devils went on a 3-0 run to even it up at seven before USC close out the half with a goal to head into halftime leading by one.
The Trojans’ third-period changed everything as they outscored ASU 6-1 and only allowed a single goal in the second half. The Sun Devils struggled on power play opportunities, going 1-9.
Against the Wolverines, the matchup was tighter. Michigan’s fourth-period shoutout proved to be the difference in its 12-10 win.
Arizona State headed into the final session with a one-point lead but failed to score on Michigan keeper Heidi Ritner in the fourth. Meanwhile, Michigan scored three consecutive goals in the final 5:44 to secure the win.
Arizona State has a chance to bounce back on Saturday with another doubleheader against USC and Michigan.
The 20th-ranked Sun Devils (1-1) started their beach volleyball season off with a split result against Colorado Mesa (0-3) and No. 7 GCU (2-1).
Arizona State started with a 5-0 sweep over Colorado Mesa. None of the courts went to a third set as each Sun Devil pairing swept their series. Here were the full results:
- Katelyn Carballo/Lexi Sweeney (ASU) def. Macie Lachemann/Savannah Spitzer (CMU) 21-8, 21-9
- Cierra Flood/Sarah Waters (ASU) def. Sierra Hunt/Hahni Johnson (CMU) 21-10, 21-11
- Samantha Plaster/Lauren Weintraub (ASU) def. Ara Norwood/Tye Wedhorn (CMU) 21-7, 21-8
- Lila Bordis/Maddy Salazar (ASU) def. Maddi Foutz/Sabrina VanDeList (CMU) 21-11, 21-13
- Taryn Ames/Kate Fitzgerald (ASU) def. Rianne Brown/Mary McGinnis (CMU) 21-12, 21-11
Meanwhile against the seventh-ranked GCU, only the Ames/Fitzgerald group came out victorious in the 4-1 loss to the Lopes. Plaster/Weintraub pushed their match to three sets, but came up short. Flood/Waters had two close sets that were both within five points against GCU’s Alli Hansen/Madi Relaz. The full results are found below:
- Bella Bauman/Teagan DeFalco (GCU) def. Katelyn Carballo/Lexi Sweeney (ASU) 21-10, 21-17
- Alli Hansen/Madi Relaz (GCU) def. Cierra Flood/Sarah Waters (ASU) 21-16, 21-17
- Anaya Evans/Taylor Jarzombek (GCU) def. Samantha Plaster/Lauren Weintraub (ASU) 15-21, 21-15, 15-10
- Paula Hoffman/Allanis Navas (GCU) def. Lila Bordis/Maddy Salazar (ASU) 21-15, 21-9
- Taryn Ames/Kate Fitzgerald (ASU) def. Alyssa Garber/Katie Sarber (GCU) 21-17, INJ
The Sun Devils will take part in The Canyon Classic on Saturday with a pairs tournament.
Kicking off its Pac-12 schedule, No. 21 Arizona State Men’s Tennis (7-1) bested Oregon (8-1) 5-2 to take down the previously undefeated Ducks.
Arizona State started off by winning the doubles point. Tim Ruehl/Makey Rakotomalala (6-4) and Moritz Hoffmann/Jonah Wilson (6-3) prevailed in their doubles matchups.
Rakotomalala swept his individual match as well. Andrea Bolla and Christian Lerby grabbed points as well with sweeps of their own. Nathan Ponwith won his match due to forfeit.
ASU returns to the court on Saturday to face New Mexico at 2:00 p.m. MT.