No. 5 Arizona State water polo (12-6, 6-3 Pac-12) won another top-five matchup. This time the Sun Devils took down No. 2 UCLA (7-2, 5-2) 8-6 on Saturday.
The teams were nearly identical in goal distribution between the four periods outside the Sun Devils’ four scores in the second. UCLA opened the period with a go-ahead goal. Bente Rogge, Amira Van Buren and Luca Petovary responded with a goal apiece in a two-minute stretch. Rogge added another before the halftime break to increase the lead to three.
The Sun Devils never looked back as the Bruins couldn’t find the game-tying goal. Chelsea Karimazondo made eight saves in net for the Sun Devils.
Arizona State looks for the upset sweep on Sunday at 9:30 a.m. local time.
Arizona State beach volleyball (5-8, 2-5 Pac-12) split its two matchups at the Pac-12 North Invitational on Saturday. The Sun Devils fell to top-ranked UCLA (17-1, 8-0) to start the day and upset No. 11 Cal (9-7, 4-3) to end it.
The Bruins swept all five courts against the Sun Devils. Lila Bordis and Samantha Plaster were the lone Sun Devil pairing to push their match to three sets. Full results are below:
- Denaburg/Simo (UCLA) def. Katelyn Carballo/Lexi Sweeney (ASU) 21-11, 21-14
- Monkhouse/A. Van Winkle (UCLA) def. Cierra Flood/Sarah Waters (ASU) 21-17, 21-18
- Newberry/Sparks (UCLA) def. Emily Anderson/Kate Fitzgerald (ASU) 21-16, 21-14
- Muret/Quade (UCLA) def Lila Bordis/Samantha Plaster (ASU) 21-19, 19-21, 15-8
- Powers/Whitmarsh (UCLA) def. Tarym Ames/Lauren Weintraub (ASU) 21-16, 21-19
Arizona State bounced back to beat Cal. Bordis and Plaster carried their good play into the second match and won their court in two sets. Katelyn Carballo and Lexi Sweeney swept on the top court. Then Cierra Flood and Sarah Waters secured the win by besting their opponents 15-12 in the third and final set to decide the result.
- Katelyn Carballo/Lexi Sweeney (ASU) def. Mirkovic/Schafer (CAL) 21-19, 21-17
- Polo/Radell (CAL) def. Emily Anderson/Kate Fitzgerald (ASU) 21-10, 21-14
- Cierra Flood/Sarah Waters (ASU) def. Inman/Paulson (CAL) 18-21, 21-12, 15-12
- Lila Bordis/Samantha Plaster (ASU) def. Gessner/Nierly (CAL) 21-17, 21-10
- Buchner/Mann (CAL) def. Taryn Ames/Maddy Salazar (ASU) 11-21, 21-15, 15-8
The Sun Devils continue the Pac-12 North Invitational on Sunday with matches against Washington and No. 2 USC.
No. 36 Arizona State women’s tennis (12-7, 5-3 Pac-12) earned the 4-0 sweep over Colorado (8-11, 2-7) on senior day.
Seniors Sammi Hampton, Lauryn John-Baptiste, Ilze Hattingh, Tereza Kolarova all had part in the win.
Hattingh and John-Baptiste and Kolarova with her partner Giulia Morlet earned the doubles point to start the match for Arizona State.
Marianna Argyrokastriti, Domenika Turkovic and John-Baptiste won their single matches to clinch the team win.
The Sun Devils close out the regular season on April 17 at Arizona starting at 1:30 local time.